Sunday, November 6, 2011

Camperdown Cruise 2011 wrap up

Howdy folks! I've been so busy with gigs, work, and fatherhood, that I'm having trouble keeping up with the blog!
Anyhoo, let's talk about the Camperdown Cruise 2011. What an amazing time!
I took the friday off work, loaded the Buick up, and hit the road. Camperdown is a 4 hour drive from Echuca, and this year I travelled alone, so was able to practice singing my songs on the trip!
I travelled through a little rain on the way, and got to Camperdown around 4pm.
 After hitting the car wash and making the Buick look pretty for the weekend, I headed into town and met up with event organiser Arthur Mats, to get the keys to my accommodation.
Shortly after that I met up with my flat mates, Harry Deluxe, singer song writer from Perth and her partner Mel, and Pia Anderson, singer song writer from Sydney, and her friend and photographer,Louise Whelan.
After settling in, and making ourselves at home, we dolled ourselves up, and got ready to head out for the night.

With Harry Deluxe about to head out

With Pia Anderson ready to hit the town, Harry and Mel in the back seat of the Buick

Lets go!

On the road! :)
With the girls on board, we headed to the Theatre Royal, to the Friday night Rockabilly show. Staring Tommy and the lucky strikes, Danny and the cosmic tremors, Harry Deluxe, Johnny Law and the pistol packin' daddies, and the Rusty Pinto Combo, what a great night!

Lets go girls, times a wasting!

All the cool people were there! In this photo from right to left, Pia Anderson, Rusty Pinto, Danny Wergzen,Pat Capocci, Damian Lawson, Scotty Baker, Kieron McDonald, Candice Deville, Leah Gamble and Harry Deluxe

Even though it was a Friday night, the joint was packed, and all the bands put on a great show. We stayed till stumps and eventually got kicked out by the bouncers in the early hours of the morning. Can you spot me dancing with the gorgeous Brooke Orchard up the back?

As I'd stayed sober, I took us back to our house in the Buick, and we finished the night of with a coffee, and a chat before hitting the sack.
Next day I got up bright and early, got my stuff together for my gig later that day, and headed into town.

Checking all was well before heading down the street

I pulled the car into a good position, near the clock tower, got the shammy out, as it had just stopped spitting/drizzling rain, and dried her off for the day. Some people though I was being optimistic, but the weather improved after I finished!

At about 11-30, I strolled up to the Commercial Hotel, grabbed a coffee, and helped set up for the gig
It was held in the indoor beer garden out the back and the room soon filled up. This was my first gig with the guys I recorded the CD with, since Wintersun, back in June, but man they were on the ball!
The music was great, and our set went down a treat!

The band stayed up after my set, and backed Hank Ferguson for his set as Hanks Jalopy Demons. Man , Hank always brings the house down! What a great set. He also got Kieron McDonald up to do a few numbers too, as a warm up for his guest appearance later that night. I ended up leaving the pub when Hanks set finished, an quickly scurried off to the markets to buy some vintage threads!

With my weekend style guru, Pia Anderson. I bought this wonderful vintage jacket, which is currently in with my taylor, being taken in to fit me better, as it's about 2 sizes too big, but when it comes to vintage, you work with what you find

Then it was back to the house to get ready for the gig that night.
I actually had to take some Panadol, as i wasn't feeling too great. Turns out with all the excitement, I had forgotten to eat all day, and my body was less than impressed! With a bit of a rest, I was OK, and I got ready and headed in early to catch Hanks jalopy Demons open the show.
Orcorse there were awsome, and the sound was much better in the room that night. Hank snapped a string in his 3rd or 4th song, so I jumped up, and gave him my guitar to finish his set. Not too long after that, Dave Cantrell snapped a string on his guitar! and he grabbed his spare to finish the set on. Here they are with Dave on his spare 'Strat' and Hank using my Guitar on their Last Song, King Kong

Well, in the break, Dave restrung his guitar ready for my set, and it was my turn to make some noise.

We had Pixi on drums for this set, as Ruy Tully had to play in another band that night. It was the first time I'd played with Pixi, and he'd never played any of my songs before, but he did a great job.

It must have been the night for it, as into my 4th song, Dave snapped another string!, Luckily I had brought my Epiphone ES295 as my spare guitar, and Dave was able to play it for the rest of my set

In my last song, you guessed it, I snapped a string! Unbelievable! Trouble was, it turned out not to be my last song, as I was asked for an encore. We decided to finish the night with Roy Orbisons, She's my Baby.
Here's a Youtube Link of that performance. Take note of the reference I make to breaking a string!
It was a fantastic night, my set was very well received, and I sold about 15 Cd's over the 2 gigs.

After that, I was able to just relax, enjoy the company of friends, and catch the rest of the great bands, which included Pat Capocci with special Guest, Kieron McDonald, Miss Mary Anne from Holland, Benny and the Fly By Nighters, and once again The Rusty Pinto combo finished the night off. What a fantastic night

With Kieron McDonald and fan

With Danny Wergzen, Kieron McDonald, and Pia Anderson

With Danny and Kieron

Once again we found ourselves to be the last to leave, and once again, the Bouncers had the tough job of getting us all out!
This time the girls talked me into driving them out to the tafe campus about 20mins out of town, where the the bands were all meeting for an after party.
We stayed on till 4am, when I decided the Buick and I were leaving, with or without the girls. Turns out, they were ready, and we got home to bed before the sun came up, just!

Sunday morning I had an early start, to meet with photographer Louise Whelan, and do a bit of a photo shoot with the Buick. She had already been up earlier than me that morning, and found a couple of good spots for some photos, here's a taste
As I my last gig was on later that night, I spent Sunday watching other other bands, and strolling through the many stalls. The weather was marvellous for just relaxing and taking in the atmosphere

Pia and I met up for the arvo, and took in some lunch at a local cafe'

With Ben lawson, father of the very talented Damion Lawson, Double Bass player for Pat Capocci
Later that night was the Grand finale, with a Pat Capocci and freinds jam session at the Commercial hotel.
It was an amazing night of music, with Pat and his band doing a few numbers, and backing other artist, like Danny Wergzen, Harry Deluxe Miss Maryanne, Pia Anderson, Rusty Pinto, Johnny law, and Myself. We all did a small set of 4 or 5 songs, and at the end, we had an impromptu all in jam, singing old favourites like Folsom Prison Blues, and 'Peace In the Valley.

Photos from my set with Pat's band

Danny and Rusty were 'helpin out' with some harmony, so I started to include them in the lyrics of my songs, gave them a laugh anyway!

Danny tearing it up in the all in jam

more all in jam photos

I also had heaps of fun chatting with friends, dancin with some of them! and just soaking up the atmosphere, A great night was had by all

With Rusty, Harry, and Pia

Harry and her partner Mel

With Dingo from Press-Tone records and Ben Lawson

With Rusty, Harry, and Johnny Law, acting up!
 Another very late night, and to bed just before the sun came up!
Pia and Louise left at 5am to drive back to Sydney Monday morning, Harry and Mel had left and went onto Melbourne by the time I got up. And I hit the road to home at about midday, getting back to Echuca at about 4pm
What a fantastic weekend Camperdown is, and it just gets bigger and bigger. I cant wait for next year. Well done to Arthur and his crew for putting this great event on, and all their hard work, and thanks for letting me a part of it !
It was a great warm up for the band and I for the big gig we had the following Saturday., But that's for another Blog!

Hope to see you at a gig soon!


  1. Looks like you are had a fabulous time Scotty.

  2. Thanks Julie, yes, having lots of fun with the music right now :)